Sunday, February 19, 2012

Scarlett Grace

I always knew that I was destined to have a baby girl one day.  Maybe because I am one of three girls, or maybe just the simple fact that I wanted to purchase every ridiculously frilly outfit and hair bow I had ever encountered and dress her up in them.  Either way, that day came for me on November 19, 2011. Now I must say, I do have a pretty decent Motherly intuition.  I knew without a shadow of a doubt that Scarlett was going to be a girl.  I also had an overwhelming feeling that she would not be a December baby as expected, but that this little girl was going to be arriving incredibly early. 



The majority of this pregnancy was amazing.  I felt great, only gained about 32 lbs. I didn't have any symptoms of morning sickness, no crazy cravings, and had a good amount of energy to keep up with Bentley.  And thankfully, my blood pressure was not an issue this time around.


The week that Scarlett was actually born I went in to see the Dr. about some excruciating pain in my abdomen.  Thinking I was having contractions and expecting to be told I was 3 cm dilated already, was actually not the case at all. Not only was I NOT dilated but I was told that I had suffered an umbilical hernia!  This was the cause of all the pain, and nothing could be done about it until after I had the baby!  I went home from this appointment in complete despair, I hadn't been able to pick up my baby boy in a week.  Sleeping, walking, driving, sitting and standing were all painful. I just couldn't imagine dealing with this constant pain and discomfort for 4 more weeks, and on top of that, was now in fear over the idea of having to give natural birth with a hernia.  I had even contemplated a scheduled cesarean.  But this is how I know God is watching over me because miraculously, 2 days later, my water broke! It was very strange how I had an overwhelming urge to put the bassinet together, pack my hospital bag and put Bentley down an hour before his bedtime that evening, hence the motherly intuition I spoke of.


Let me just say that the labor and delivery were a breeze compared to my son.  And no surprise here, but labor pains are far worse than any hernia for man or woman!  So I was quickly able to forget about that issue and focus on bringing my little girl into this world.  After about 25 minutes of pushing, our baby was here, on my chest as beautiful and content as can be. With a perfectly round head and sweet little cry. I immediately teared up and had a sudden rush of excitement and joy run through my body.



This little girl completes our family.  Bentley has a little sister to look after , and she would have a big brother to protect her.  Andy and I had gone back and forth on names but the minute we laid eyes on her, we knew her name would be Scarlett. All 6 lbs. 2 ounces of her.




She was jaundiced at first and dropped down to 5 lbs 10 ounces, but quickly regained her health. Such a strong little one♥


Today, Scarlett is 3 months old. The time seems to go by much quicker with the second child.  I try so hard to cherish every last moment.  She has quite the personality already.  She smiles all the time and poses perfectly for the camera, possibly because everyday is a photo shoot in our home:)  She laughs when you tickle her and "talks" up a storm.  Still waking up 2-3 times a night to nurse, which is to be expected, so no complaints here! She loves seeing all three of our faces and is truly a beauty. She reminds me so much of Bentley at this point.  I look forward to reaching new milestones with her and every day I am thankful for the family God has blessed me with.




1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful sis!! You definitely knew you were having that little girl and I distinctly remember you being so sure that she wouldn't wait till Dec. We were all so glad for you to not have to endure any more pain from that hernia too! What a sweet story about Scarlett!! :)

    ReplyDelete