Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Where Did All The Mommies Go?

“Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs... since the payment is pure love."-Mildred B. Vermont

Bentley has been going to Gymboree Play and Music classes since he was 5 months old.  He absolutely loves it!!

A few memorable moments♥







 This is where, along with my help of course, he was encouraged and excelled very quickly at sitting up, crawling, walking, counting, and playing nicely with others:) It is the perfect mommy and me environment for him, with amazing instructors at each level.  Once we had Scarlett we were unable to attend for a few months and today was our first day back.  Much to my surprise, this Gymboree, or at least the new level that Bentley is in, has turned into a  "Nanny and Me" of some sorts.  I found this out as I was trying to console Bentley after a fall and another woman comes over, almost in an attempt to reassure me that this child would be OK, and to help me. As I look at her questioningly, she asks if I am his mother."Yes", I reply. After all, this is a mommy and me class. She looks very surprised and begins to point out that most of the woman in here are nannies.  Now, the one thing I've always loved about Gymboree was the chance to communicate with other mom's that are going through the same child raising  joys and challenges as myself, so needless to say I am a little disappointed to see that it has sort of evolved into a nanny play date.  I also cannot believe that someone would be so surprised that a mommy is enjoying some daytime playtime with her own child.  I have nothing against nannies, and do realize everyone has different circumstances surrounding their decisions to use a nanny, but my husband and I made the decision that I would raise my own children, and wouldn't miss these wonderful precious moments where they are learning, playing and growing right before our very eyes.  I would also hate to think that the nanny is now the norm, and that it is unusual for a mommy to be at a mommy and me playgym of all places!! But that was exactly the case at this moment.
Anyways, we will still continue to attend Gymboree because this is our special time together just mother and son, and I do love it, in fact I think its amazing.   I just signed Scarlett up as well and am hoping to see more mothers in the infant class that can share with me the pure joy of being our babies' mommy's and relating to those whom have also figured out a way to be involved in their little ones' lives♥

♥, The Happy Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment