Monday, February 20, 2012

Bentley Allen

My full of energy, full of life, full of love, 22 month old baby boy.  This little one gave me high blood pressure while I was pregnant with him, and has been known to raise it on occasion since;-) 


Bentley was my experimental child.  I had no idea, like most, what I was getting myself into with the first born.  And needless to say, was a little bit blindsided!  The pregnancy itself was wonderful.  I never wanted it to end, I absolutly enjoyed being pregnant.  Even though this was considered a high risk pregnancy, you'd never know it.  I was diagnosed with hypertension right around 9 weeks along and was immediatly put on medication. I was also ordered to see the perinatologist regularly.  But this just meant I'd be able to see my precious little boy through ultrasound that much more! I went in for visits just about every month where they'd take his measurements and listen to his heartbeat.  The ultrasounds were amazing, every one of them were in 4D and being able to watch him grow and wiggle around in there was so special for Andy and I.


We knew that with the risk of preeclampsia, it was not safe for me to go beyond my due date.  Each day past 40 weeks would increase my risks and I would need to be induced if he was late.  I was perfectly fine with this, I just wanted my baby to be OK.  My Dr. ended up sending me to the hospital for induction on May 4th, the day before my due date.  I was thrilled to know that this was a sure thing.  I'd be induced, I would opt out of an epidural, labor would progress quickly and then BAM! a baby. But I couldn't have been more wrong!  My entire labor lasted 42 hours. The pain of it was so shockingly bad, I can't even explain.  I made it about 22 hours and 5 cm dilated without an epidural, and it was not pretty.  I had completely lost control in a situation where the number one rule of thumb is to remain in control and "stay focused". In the midst of crying, screaming and vomiting, I was able to sign the papers and somehow hold perfectly still for someone to slide a needle into my spine.  This is me before the horrific labor pains set in.


After the epidural, I was finally able to relax and concentrate on the amazing task at hand:)  Then finally, after another 20 hours or so of labor, I was exhausted and starving but ready to go!! I'm pretty sure my excitement is what got me through the delivery because I had zero energy at this point.  Shortly there-after, we became parents.  Our preciously plump and adorable little boy was finally here!! May 6, 2010, Bentley Allen, 8 lbs. 4 ounces of love♥



At this point I just wanted to enjoy my little bundle.  This was such a new and exciting learning experience and it was not easy by any means.  I struggled to find confidence as a new Mother, it was very scary at times, not knowing how to make my little one feel better when he was upset and crying.  I recall many times reaching out to my older sister for help, as she has 4 of her own.  This involved some very late night phone calls, but she was always there for me. For that, I thank her.  I firmly believe that Bentley's adorable personality and smile is what got us through the tough times and made it all worth while:)


2 months

3 months

5 months


Today, our little Bentley is 22 months old. He is now a big brother to little sister Scarlett, and an amazing one at that.  He truly loves his sister and you can see that in the gentle way he touches her face or hand, the kisses he gives her and the "baby" voice he makes when talking to her♥  His vocabulary includes, but is not limited to the following- Hi, bye,  ball, bless you, cat, dog, poo poo, thank you, apple (bopple), momma, eye, daddy, uh oh, choo choo, icky, nana (banana), and a few others that only Andy or I can decipher:)  He can point out his nose, eyes, ears, mouth, hair, feet, hands and belly button. He is so smart and learns incredibly fast, is full of energy one minute and a super cuddle bug the next.  I am so in love with this little man its ridiculous.  I get such great joy out of watching him learn and grow and look forward to what the coming years have in store for us♥


22 months♥



5 comments:

  1. I love hearing birthing stories. It such a precious miracle. Bentley is such a handsome little boy. Looking forward to your blogs. Hope you are doing well.

    Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa, I'm glad you enjoyed:) I love reading birthing stories as well, they are all so unique!

      Delete
  2. LOVE this Jack!! SOOO sweet & it will be such a wonderful memory to have of your amazing experience with your first precious baby. ♥ it & looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Pam! I agree, I'm excited to have the memories written down:)

      Delete
  3. I love hearing Bentley's story again...how quickly we forget sometimes!! And its sweet to see that baby face again... You've really blossomed into such a beautiful mom of two (def a long way from those late night calls lol) and I know Bentley was just lucky to be your first SIS! XO

    ReplyDelete