Monday, March 5, 2012

5K For A Cause

One of the many things we want to instill in our children is to live an active and healthy lifestyle.  This is the way that I was brought up and would like to pass down to Bentley and Scarlett.  My parents were always active and avid runners growing up.  My Dad has run the L.A. marathon multiple times and I remember joining both of them for 5k and 10k marathons when my sisters and I were young.  We would do the family fun run which was 1 mile, recieve a little medal and feel so proud of ourselves.

This is what I remember and this what I want my children to remember when they are older. And so it begins....

Andy and I took the babies on their very first 5K run on Saturday.  Finish Chelsea's Run is dedicated to 17 year old Chelsea King, the Poway High student who tragically had her life cut short while out on a run in Rancho Bernardo.  This 5k run is to help raise money for Chelsea's Light Foundation, which provides scholarship's to college-bound teens whom have "embraced Chelsea's service-over-self ethic." Needless to say, we were more than happy to participate.

We started the race in a sea of thousands, all there to show support for Chelsea's cause.



Bentley and Scarlett had no idea what was going on, but I know they will appreciate our efforts in the future♥


On a side note, at this time in Bentley's life, strollers are a thing of the past. He doesn't believe in sitting in one, and would much rather "walk like a big boy". This is a battle we do not believe is worth fighting.  He is very good about walking right beside us or holding onto one of our hands.  But for this race we HAD to put him in the stroller.  Let's just say he was less than thrilled and probably screamed his head off for the first quarter mile, but it quickly sank in that he wasn't getting out, and he settled down to enjoy the rest of the ride.

At one point we were running on the 163 fwy. 


The last 1/2 mile or so was all up hill,  and once we had about 200 yards to go, we let Bentley run to the finish line;-)


Everyone was cheering him on:) It was one of my proudest moments as a mommy, seeing my little guy running as fast as he can, so excited to cross that line♥


Our time- 49:06. Not bad, considering the jumbo double jogger we were pushing the entire way;)


After race festivities


We look forward to our next 5k as well as Finishing Chelsea's Run again next year!♥


♥, The Happy Wife

1 comment:

  1. That is precious seeing Bentley going for that finish line!! It's so awesome that you guys did that. We were so lucky to have that instilled in us for sure. Hope I can join you next year!! :)

    ReplyDelete